Saturday, October 30, 2010

William R. Leach's Signs of Genius



The Chronology:

* Mrs. Ratti, William R. Leach's first grade teacher (it was she that gave him IQ test, "hated" him and after he put peas and carrots in the drinking fountain, she liked him even less!

* Mr. Stern, 6th grade teacher in California, gave William R. Leach problem similar to MENSA problem that was supposed to take two hours. It took William 8 seconds. "Mr. Stern started bringing me books, and books, and books."

* English Department, Santa Cruz, California, had an Desert Warfare (Pentagon) computer game that was, supposedly unbeatable. William R. Leach "took them down" in 3 minutes.

* Mr. Larsen, Chaffey High School, Ontario, California (identified William R. Leach's IQ, from records at Comptom Elementary School, Silver Bay, Minnesota as highest recorded in 200 years, anywhere in the world - it was un-measurable so-arbitrary number was given to it "just to have a number".)
-

2 comments:

  1. I've been looking for William's poetry for years. He was a major influence on my life as an artist, both as a friend and mentor. He married my mom in 1987 and we lived together for some years, both in Claremont, Ca., and Eureka,Ca. He and my mother divorced some years later. I left the area soon after and we lost contact. I was saddened to hear of his death, though not surprised. My concern then was for his manuscripts, which I had held for him for a few years. In fact, the last time I saw him was to return his manuscripts. I had tracked them to a library in Calgary(?), but couldn't get much beyond that. I look forward to seeing this book and would be happy to share any insights. Yours truly, Jonathan Ash. (Ashland, OR)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am posting this on behalf of Susan Murar:

      "Thank you for searching for William's beautiful poetry. And thank you for saying that he was a positive influence in your life as a friend and, mentor. I say this because not too long before William left this earth, he said, "I did not do enough for Jonathan." He loved you very much, and knowing him as I did, and seeing him remember the special people in his life with that glint of merriment in his eyes, he made a special place for you- every single day of his life. Please let me send to you one book of his poetry (a second copy) that was not sent, as all his life work was, to the University of Calgary, Special Collections- MacKimmie Library "The fonds of the poet William Robert Leach"- as his gift to you. You can also contact the MacKimmie Library and ask for additional work- as many as 7 large volumes are extant. We are missing the "fictional autobiography" (perhaps you know about this) that was sent with a dancer/choreographer from Claremont, to New York City. Are you also aware that the movie "Good Will Hunting" was intimately based on William's life? I surprised William by doing ink drawings to illustrate some of his poetry, and he remarked, "I did not think that was possible!" These are also at the University as are some of your mother's personal paintings that she gave to him as presents- he treasured everything. No one knew just how fragile his genius, and, his fragile heart which took him home. Please connect and tell me about your very creative life if you have the desire.

      Thanking you, Susan Murar (Leach) Sculptor"
      http://www.norvalmorrisseau.com/susanmurar/

      Delete